Saturday, December 31, 2011

Story time

Supergirl just chillin after rescuing the world
A few cute stories about Alexa to start this off on a good note.  Alexa is starting to understand things better.  We've gotten a bit better at signing.  Not great yet, but our signing classes dont start till next week, so everything we know is self taught.  A wonderful teaching tool is the signing time videos if you want to pick some of the language up or teach your little ones.  Anyway because Alexa isnt completely deaf it's like she hears things as if she were underwater, she is able to pick up sound patterns.  They're just very muffled, but she knows the sound of her name, and other things we commonly say.  So she is able to respond to simlple things.  One of her naptime/ bedtime rituals is to make sure she gives everyone including the animals a kiss.  So you'll often find us searching them all out (let me tell you trying to find a cat when they dont want to be found can be very difficult), but if she doesnt kiss everyone that is in the house she gets very upset and will continue to do the kissy face until everyone gets one.  She hates when the dogs give her kisses (licking).  So I explained that this is how dogs kiss (talking and miming), she seemed to understand me.  That night when she went to give Sunny our golden retriever a kiss she licked him right on the nose!  So gross!!!  I've  been able to get her to stop for the most part by acting all grossed out, but everyone once and a while she slips in a lick.  Very funny...

I've been trying to teach Alexa animal sounds and although she cant hear them great she's able to get some of the sound patterns right.  An example would be I say and sign cow, and she oooo's like a moo, or sign cat and she e-ows like a cat, sheep is an aaa, and so on.  Well I decided to throw a few extra "animal sounds" in there.  Like I say and sign red sox and she throws her arms up in the air and says "ooooh-oooh!"  for woo-hoo!, and I sign yankees and she says "in" which equals stink.  We like to teach our Red sox fans young.  lol

So we've been trying to fatten Alexa up.  She's down to 20 lbs meaning she's still losing and not maintaining her weight anymore.  We're at her tolerance level with her feeds (if we go over that she cant digest properly and has uncontrollable vomitting, and  it messes her up the other end as well).  So we're trying to increase her caloric intake by mouth, very hard to do when her tiny belly cant's hold more than about a tablespoon at a time.  Kevin recently found out she loves reeces pieces, and she got a few boxes in her stocking.  They're great for her because of the fatty peanut butter and small portion size.  Also its one of the few things she'll eat.  Anyway I was giving her and my niece some today and I told them that when they were done with the amount I gave them they could have more.  Kira got it right away and started shoveling them all in her mouth.  lol.  Alexa watched and when she saw that Kira got more when she was done she tried to be sneaky.  She took the 5 pieces she already had and because she wouldnt be able to handle them all in her mouth she decided to hide them.  I didnt realize until I caught her a while later asking for more and hurrying over to her little tool bench to "save" them for later.  Little stinker I was so happy she was eating so well, turns out she was just stashing them so Kira wouldnt get them all.  Arent babies so funny!

Also because Alexa has been so clingy lately it is really difficult to get anything done around the house.  We used to have the moby wrap, but I boxed that up with her baby things thinking she had outgrown it.  Today I was so desperate I got a sheet and tied that around myself to hold Ali so that I could get a few things done around the house.  I carried her like that for about 2 hours, and it worked great, I guess I'll have to dig up the moby wrap again.

Just a little slice of our Alexa.  As you can see she has a spunky, sweet personality.  That's all for now, I'll write more when I can express things better.

2 comments:

  1. it's so good that you keep up with updates. It helps me to pray. I think of you often. Alexa is such a cutie. love you!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robin, Sometimes it's hard with everything going on, but if I write a little at a time itss easier. Love you too.

    ReplyDelete